Thursday, October 27, 2011
Putting shade cloth over the hothouse
Building a new hot compost
Adding our new worms to the worm farms
Bagging our compost
Cleaning out the equipment and supplies shed
HARVESTING HARVESTING HARVESTING!!!
Come along early and work up an appetite in time to share morning tea
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
Saturday, October 15, 2011
Now that all the beetroot is planted it won’t be long before we’re eating beetroot at every meal!
Here's a recipe for Beetroot Dip.
1 bunch beetroot
2 cloves garlic – or to taste
1 cup low-fat yoghurt
2 tablespoons dill, finely chopped
Extra dill for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Trim beetroot, leaving 1cm stalks attached.
2. Place beetroot onto prepared baking tray. Spray with oil. Roast for 45 to 50 minutes or until tender when tested with a skewer. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
3. Gently peel and discard skin from beetroot.
4. Roughly chop beetroot. Place into a food processor with garlic. Process until smooth. Transfer to a glass bowl. Stir in yoghurt and dill, then season with salt and pepper.
Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours to allow flavours to develop. Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with dill.
For variety, try substituting other favourite herbs: coriander works well, or a herb blend that includes parsley and basil .
Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Last Saturday was another successful day.
Barry has protected the asparagus.
Carolyn and Norm did an excellent job on re-oiling the seating arc.
We cut the top crop of Bana grass and used it to mulch the top slope.
The small raised bed is ready for the workshop next Sunday and the
beetroot and other seedlings are safely tucked into their new beds.
Job for this Saturday are:
Harvest remainder of Brussels Sprouts and Sugarloaf cabbage and then clear
this garden bed for rebuilding on Sunday.
Harvest Calvalo Nero and Silver Beet from raised garden bed and then clear
this garden bed for rebuilding.
Bag current batch of hot compost and store.
Plant 2 new Rhubarb plants.
Enjoy a cuppa and a chat.
Please bring along your bags of grass clippings for the workshop on Sunday.
Wednesday, October 5, 2011
- shield the asparagus from possible builder damage
- remove tyres from the smallest raised bed
- re-oil the seating arc
- turn the hot compost
- plant out the remaining beetroot seedlings
- plant out seedlings from the hot house
- tool audit
- mark positions of tools in the container
- cut bana grass
We will also be having a cupper so come along.
The havest this Wednesday afternoon was great. Spring is definately here.